Toro Shelter Salt Barns have been identified as the most effective and economical means of storing winter road salt. They are compliant with the Industry best practices set down by the NWSRG, in its most recent practical guide.
The UK’s Trusted Supplier of Turnkey Salt Barns
Toro Shelters has become the UK’s leading supplier of salt barns, delivering turnkey solutions to new and existing depots across the United Kingdom. The knowledge and experience within Toro’s engineering team put the company in a unique position to help you along every step of the way. There is even a whitepaper coming soon to the website that will talk you through the stages, highlight the risks and help you over the common pitfalls experienced in taking a new scheme through to completion.
Whether your store is for 500t or 50,000t of winter salt, Toro can help with the following:
- Preliminary consultancy, advising on size, design and function.
- Site investigations to ensurethe viability of existing ground conditions and assist in accurate civils costing.
- Planning drawings and advice to support the planning application.
- Ground remediation to improve poor ground, ready to support 1000’s of tonnes of salt.
- Design, manufacture, freight and installation of a bespoke designed, tensioned fabric salt barn structure.
Built to Last
A salt store is a highly corrosive environment. Toro understands this and has invested time and effort to ensure that not only the structure but the foundations and retaining walls are designed, manufactured and installed to be fit-for-purpose. Toro is confident of its salt storage system it is prepared to offer a 20-year warranty.
The latticed steel frame of a Toro shelter is hot-dip galvanised to protect the structure against the oxidising effects of the salt. The building's base plates and fixings get extra protection on top of this. The tensioned, ultra-tough composite membrane cover is impervious to attack from salt (and most other chemicals) and is very easy to wash down.
Each building is designed in accordance with Eurocode standards and is built to withstand the local weather conditions, be it inner city London or the West coast of Scotland.
A Toro shelter is designed to minimise whole life costs. This starts quite literally from the ground up:
- The structurally efficient latticed steel trusses reduce the load on the foundations which in turn reduces the engineering, size and cost of the foundations.
- The foundations and base slab are rigorously designed to prevent premature failure from heavy usage and prolonged saline attack.
- The retaining walls are pre-cast which reduces the overall cost of manufacture but also means that if a push wall is broken, it can be swapped out with minimal cost. The walls can also be given a waterproof coating for even longer life.
- The steel frame of the building is the heart of a Toro Shelter is manufactured with a design life of 50 years.
- The cover will easily last 20-30 years but can be repaired and even replaced completely for a fraction of the cost of any other style of the cladding.
- Shelters can be re-purposed, re-located or re-sold which could offer huge savings on sunk costs.
- Perhaps most importantly, the team at Toro would welcome early engagement to define the solution as we have the experience to advise where you can and can’t value engineer the design solution.
Getting Through the Planning Phase
The size of your salt barn will be one of your first considerations. However, it is also important to think about its shape and appearance. On the one hand, it is great to achieve clearance for the 28t tipper truck that will deliver the salt, but this has to be balanced with local planning height requirements.
Toro can deliver almost any size of a structure, including a dome-shaped salt barn, which is considered by some to be less intrusive. In theory, a dome-shaped salt store is the most efficient regarding the ratio of storage capacity to the footprint. In reality, a salt dome vs a Dutch barn design will come down to space available on-site and planning constraints.
As well as size and shape, Toro can help smooth the planning approval process by supplying the covering a wide range of colours; the image below shows a large salt store in Bedfordshire in colour RAL 6005.
Protecting Winter Salt and Protecting the Environment
Correctly storing salt will greatly increase its shelf life and ensure it remains compliant with regulations and standards BS 3247:2011 “Salt for spreading on highways for winter maintenance”. One of the main factors in achieving this is protection from moisture. Unprotected salt can diminish by as much as 20% per year, which is costly but will also allow concentrated leachate into the environment where it will damage fauna and flora. Some regions have attempted to mitigate this by covering stockpiles with tarpaulins. However, the risk and complexity of operating a salt store covered in this way have proved completely untenable. Toro salt barns will help guarantee compliance with the Environment Agency or Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA) guidelines.
As well as protecting the environment from salt pollution, Toro shelters are manufactured almost entirely from recyclable material and have an extremely low carbon footprint.
All Toro Shelters are designed in accordance with Eurocode design standards and, in accordance with BS EN 1090-1, all structural steel is supplied CE marked.
Toro’s design philosophy is to design-in safety, right from the outset. Over time we have further developed this, in line with CDM regulations, to continually reduce risk in the manufacture and installation stages of the build. For example, Toro operatives now carry out more than 80% of the assembly at ground level, even for a building with a 14m high apex.
In turn, a Toro Shelter is designed to offer a safe and as comfortable as a possible working environment for operatives. For example, sufficient space is recommended in-and-around the structure and retaining walls for safe and easy inspection, maintenance and repair access.
The fabric used to cover a Toro Shelter is supplied from the highest quality manufacturers in the world and is compliant with all necessary regulations. The fabrics Toro use are self-extinguishing; they do not propagate ﬂames or cause burning droplets to fall.