Salt Barn Services, Structure Types & Benefits
Toro Shelters are UK’s trusted supplier of salt storage solutions. Below we explore how Toro Shelters’ Salt Barns are the most effective solution for your operation’s salt storage needs:
Toro’s Salt Barns Structural Superiority
- The structurally efficient latticed steel trusses reduce the load on the foundations which in turn reduces the engineering, size and cost of the foundations - click here for more on Tensioned Membrane Buildings & Planning.
- The foundations and base slab are rigorously designed to prevent premature failure from heavy usage and prolonged saline attack.
- The retaining walls are precast which not only reduces the overall cost of manufacture but also means that if a push wall is broken, it can be swapped out at minimal cost. The walls can also be given an extra waterproof coating for longer life.
- The steel frame of the building, the heart of a Toro Shelter, is manufactured with a design life of 50 years.
- Provided it is cared for and maintained, the cover will easily last 20 years. It can be repaired and even replaced completely for a fraction of the cost of any other cladding option.
- Shelters can be repurposed and relocated which is a huge, additional cost saving.
Seamless Processes From Project Inception To Completion
- The construction process is fast, efficient and flexible, and the efficiency of the build, and the diversity of salt barn solutions for temporary or permanent structures, means that there is no ‘one size fits all’ option.
- Most importantly, the team at Toro encourages early engagement, and collaboration throughout the client’s salt barn storage project, to define the solution. Toro’s experience in engineering and design of salt barn means they can advise their clients with the best professional knowledge to fit the custom solution needs.
Quality Assurance Over Our Whole Salt Barn Range
A bulk salt storage building is a highly corrosive environment. Toro understands this and has invested time and effort to ensure that not only the structure of the salt shed, but also the foundations and retaining walls are designed, manufactured and
installed to be fit-for-purpose.
Toro is confident of its salt storage system and offers a 20-year warranty. The latticed steel frame of a Toro Shelter is hot-dip galvanised to protect the structure against the oxidising effects of the salt.
The salt storage structure’s base plates and fixings get extra protection in addition to the galvanisation. The tensioned, ultra-tough composite membrane cover of the salt barn design is impervious to attack from salt and sand (and most other chemicals) and is very easy to wash down. Additionally, each bulk salt storage facility is designed to withstand the local weather conditions, be it inner city London or the west coast of Scotland.
The size of your salt barn will be one of your first considerations. However, it is also important to think about the salt barn design - its shape and appearance. For example it is important to achieve clearance for a 28 tonne
tipper truck that often delivers the winter road salt, and equally, the height requirements of salt barn construction need to be balanced with local planning height restrictions.
Toro can deliver almost any size and shape of a structure and can now provide a retractable roof system.
Additionally, Toro can help smooth the planning approval process by supplying clients with design drawings and
colour swatches of our PVC fabric for submission to your local Planning Department.
UK Road Salt Storage Membership Advisor
Toro Shelters are compliant with the Road Salt Storage Industry best practices set down by the UK Roads Liaison Group in its most recent practical guide. Toro Shelters are also an associate member of the National Winter Service Research Group. As a member, Toro will advise councils on the
best practices for winter road salt storage.
For more information about Toro's salt storage building types and benefits, contact us now.